Saturday, February 13, 2010

random

So lately this new tumblr craze has been all the rage. I checked it out and it looked pretty cool, but I don't feel like making another account for a blog so I decided to just keep using this one. Life has been good. Difficult and trying, but good. Anyways, I saw this on Joyce's tumblr and decided to steal it because I thought it was awesome. Hopefully you will too.

"In 1996, Michael Behe, a biochemist who looks at the wonders of the microcosm of creation, rather than the macrocosm, wrote Darwin’s Black Box, and argued that the single tiny cell is “irreducibly complex,” and therefore the product of intelligent design, not chance. “Irreducible complexity” means that the immensely complex cell has a large number of parts that all work together in such a way that the absence of one part stops the entire function - which means that the functioning system of the cell could not be built up by small evolutionary steps in which the parts accumulated gradually.

For example, Behe considers the bacterial flagellum.

The flagellum is a whip-like rotary motor that enables a bacterium to navigate through its environment. The flagellum includes an acid-powered rotary engine, a stator, O-rings, bushings, and a driveshaft. The intricate machinery of this molecular motor requires approximately fifty proteins. Yet the absence of any one of these proteins results in the complete loss of motor function. The irreducible complexity of such a biochemical system cannot be explained by the Darwinian mechanism, nor indeed by any naturalistic evolutionary mechanism proposed to date. (William Dembski, “Science and Design,” First Things, Oct. 1998, No. 86, p. 25.)"

I think it's from one of John Piper's sermons.

random tangent: Today I EV'd for the first time in a while. It was good to hear from some people on campus and just get to share the gospel. Pastor Dave had a really interesting sermon this past thursday at kcm about Jonah. He talked about how Jonah's understanding of grace was skewed - judging from how he reacted to God's commands and just went the other way from Ninevah, it would seem that it was maybe even nonexistent. As frightening as it sounds, Pastor Dave connected it with the Christians of today. If we have this gift - this good news - if we really believe that it's TREASURE we hold in these jars of clay, yet don't proclaim it on the rooftops, then we too have a misunderstanding of grace. I realize I've been very lax in my duties as a Christian. I haven't really gone out of my way to share the good news in a while. I haven't been a very good steward of truth, or of many things for that matter. I guess it's a good time to collect myself, rearm, regroup, PRAY, and step back into battle. Satan, this is war.

1 comment: